This document is also available in PDF (57 Kb) [help with PDF files]
This memorandum contains the CPAFTA Rules of Origin Regulations and provides a link to the Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada Web site where the Rules of Origin for the CPAFTA may be found.
CPAFTA Rules of Origin Regulations
Rules of Origin
1. The following provisions of the Free Trade Agreement between Canada and the Republic of Panama, signed on , have the force of law in Canada:
- (a) Articles 3.01 to 3.04;
- (b) Article 3.05, paragraph 1;
- (c) Articles 3.06 to 3.15; and
- (d) Annex 3.02.
Coming Into Force
2. These Regulations come into force on the day on which section 38 of the Canada–Panama Economic Growth and Prosperity Act, chapter 26 of the Statutes of Canada, 2012, comes into force, but if they are registered after that day, they come into force on the day on which they are registered.
Guidelines and General Information
1. The Canada-Panama Free Trade Agreement (CPAFTA) may be found on the Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada Web site at: www.international.gc.ca.
2. Chapter Three: Rules of Origin contains the general rules of origin that set out the criteria to determine the originating status of a good, as well as other general conditions and requirements.
3. Annex 3.02: Specific Rules of Origin sets out the product specific rules of origin that establish the point at which materials or components have undergone sufficient production within the free trade area for the good produced to be considered originating.
4. For more information, within Canada call the Border Information Service at 1-800-461-9999. From outside Canada call 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064. Long distance charges will apply. Agents are available Monday to Friday (08:00 – 16:00 local time/except holidays). TTY is also available within Canada: 1-866-335-3237.
- Issuing office:
- Trade Programs Directorate
- Headquarters file:
- Legislative references:
- Order in Council P.C. 2013-309 dated
Canada-Panama Economic Growth and Prosperity Act
- Other references:
- Superseded memorandum D:
- Date modified: